Chris

ElmiraTelegram.com To Shut Down

20 posts in this topic

This website recently hit its third year, which combined with its predecessor means I've been at this five years now. 

Over the past year or so, news content has been more difficult to obtain for various reasons. Content that is still sent in the form of press releases from area police agencies and municipalities is also available on social media, often hours before I am able to post it here. 

For a few years now, the message board platform has been overtaken by social media, namely Facebook, which continues to dominate the internet with over a billion users and growing. The most common question posed by those running a message board/ forum for some time has been, "How do we compete ?" 

I've come to the realization, we can't. 

The news is all right there posted in real time so whether you read it here or watch the evening news, it's simply a review of the day's events. Its been seen, commented on, and is old hat by then for the most part. 

Features implemented to make this site unique and try to draw new and regular users no longer work. For example, local history once was a great draw for this site. Now theres a dozen Facebook groups with scores of people posting pictures all day long ( sometimes taken off here through Google image searches ).

I'm out of ideas to keep the conversation going, and am seeing less and less activity. Nearly everything we're doing here is being done elsewhere now, and often sooner. So I believe it's time to shut things down and move on. Hosting expires in mid July and at this time I do not plan to renew it. At this time I'm looking at turning off the lights June 1st which I hope enough time for everyone to adjust and get any material they may have saved on here. 

I recognize of course this site is more of a community of people than strictly a news platform. So I'm looking at ideas to ensure there's a place for folks who have made up the core group of this site to check in from time to time. Ironically this will involve Facebook, and details will come later. 

Five years is a long time to do this. It's cost a lot of time and money so reaching this decision is actually a relief. At the same time, I know it's not just "mine" and have given the matter a lot of thought. 

It's been a good run, and I am grateful to everyone who has helped or been a part of this site. 

Chris; You have done an outstanding job here. I understand what is happening with everyone following different sites and Facebook getting their fix of daily drama instantly now.  Many of us will greatly miss our daily first stop but I get it. I have to say though we really do have a great group of folks assembled here under your leadership.  I guess I have to get a facebook account now........   

Chris, I'm so sorry to read your decision, but I understand.  I agree with Buster - you've done an awesome job with this site for the past five years. And I'm sure it's taking too much time in your life, time you need to give to your family and other ventures. Your boys are only young once! I can't thank you enough for giving me a home for my writing, and for having asked if I knew anyone who wanted to write something like a faith column. Feeling the tug on my heart, I took a step out in faith with The Poet's Chair poetry and reflections. Hearing how they've touched the hearts of others has made it all worthwhile. I may look into other options to continue a poetry blog as there's a lot of writing waiting to be posted. Thank you Chris for all you've done for this site and us writers!!!

Bridget likes this

This makes me sad. Since I've been around since way back to Broader View I have seen the change from one format to another to another.  I do get it though.  I do hope we can have some sort of group since we really have all become friends although we do not all know each other personally.  I know I'm not a big participant lately but I do read everything since I have my setting set to send it all through my email.

I think I speak for all the regulars on here when I say "RATS!"

That's it, just RATS!

Anyway, thanks Chris, for creating a community where we could all share information, ideas, feelings and opinions in a civil and friendly way.

RATS ...

I agree with all above sentiments. You have done an awesome job; I am both appreciative of, and inspired by, the people in this community. Thank you for letting us connect.  Thank you for just not turning off the lights without warning. I'm into the Facebook idea. 

Rats.

Yep. Thanks, Chris. I'll miss you guys. Maybe we'll run into each other again someday. Just can't bring myself to join Facebook yet.

On April 26, 2017 at 6:38 PM, buster said:

I have to say though we really do have a great group of folks assembled here

"Quoted for truth" as we used to say. 

On April 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Linda Roorda said:

I may look into other options to continue a poetry blog as there's a lot of writing waiting to be posted.

Wordpress.com was my venue of choice several years ago. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to use. Of course I'll be happy to help you get it set up. ( The best part is, it's free ! )

23 hours ago, Mark said:

RATS !!

I hear ya. 

57 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

I'll miss you guys. Maybe we'll run into each other again someday. Just can't bring myself to join Facebook yet.

We're not that far away my friend. And believe me, I understand the Facebook thing completely. I continue to have a love/hate relationship with it. 

Guys, clicking that "Submit reply" button last evening wasn't easy. But this site and community deserve nothing but my best. When I can't give that, it's time. 

I waffled all day yesterday. Compound8, KarenK and KReed can tell you that. And then I saw this quote on my Instagram feed:

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 6.16.35 PM.png

When the fates speak, (or in this case The Force), you listen. Someone we all know once told me that. 

As I said, we're not that far apart. I'm easy to find, and always happy to shoot the shit over a couple cold ones. 

Before I forget, Carol Bossard e mailed me last night and said anyone who wants to continue to get the items she writes can e mail her. I know I intend to keep receiving them. 

Bridget and Karenk like this

I am also always willing to "chat" over a few cocktails.  Usually you can find me the same place as Chris.  lol.  A lot more often though.  If you don't know me in person stop in and try to guess who I am.  :D

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Before I forget, Carol Bossard e mailed me last night and said anyone who wants to continue to get the items she writes can e mail her. I know I intend to keep receiving them. 

That would be great.  How would we get her email address?

10 minutes ago, Karenk said:

That would be great.  How would we get her email address?

Carol may be reached at cpeggy@htva.net. 

Something I learned recently is that Carol doesn't write this exclusively for this site. She sends this out to friends and family members as well. It's an awesome idea. 

George, Karenk and Bridget like this

40 minutes ago, Lovemymuttins said:

Where do you find the arrests report online? 

EPD and the Sheriff's Dept. now post them on their Facebook page. 

I couldnt find a page for the sheriff dept just some generated thing from peoples posts on facebook

If you still want your news fix after the Elmira Telegram is gone, may I suggest the youtube site "Hood News in Elmira"

Very entertaining, plus I understand video may be the next great thing.

Video does appear to be the thing and I hate it.  I prefer to read an article to watching one.  I skip all the news videos and just read the ones with articles attached.  

Chris B. likes this