New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos announced this week that hunting and trapping licenses and Deer Management Permits (DMPs) for the 2023-24 season are now on sale.
Licenses and permits can be purchased online or at any of DEC’s license-issuing agents (leaves DEC website), or by telephone at 866-933-2257. Hunting and trapping licenses are valid from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31 each year, while annual fishing licenses are valid for 365 days from date of purchase.
Beginning this week, the DEC Call Center is accessible from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays through Nov. 30. Regular call center weekday hours resume on Dec. 1. Purchasers should allow 14 business days for receipt of hunting licenses purchased by phone.
Individuals should have the following items ready when buying a license:
- Complete contact information (e.g., name, address, email address, telephone number);
- DEC customer ID number (if applicable);
- Proof of residency (e.g., driver’s license or non-driver’s ID with a valid New York State address);
- If purchasing by phone or internet, a valid credit card; and
- If not already entered in DEC’s automated licensing system, individuals are required to provide proof of hunter or trapper education certification or a copy of a previous license for all hunting and trapping license purchases.
For additional information, visit the General Sporting License Information webpage on DEC’s website.